Don’t See What You Want?
Please note – Prospector and ILL are currently not in operation in an effort to prevent the spread of Coronovirus (COVID-19). When we reopen, we will waive all fines on Interlibrary Loan and Prospector items once they are returned.
If you have already attempted to locate the item in our catalog, don’t give up. We have more options for you.
Prospector – a shared catalog of libraries in Colorado and Wyoming with more than 34 million items. Prospector is generally much faster and simpler to use
This free service for residents of High Plains Library District is a unified catalog of academic, public and special libraries in Colorado and Wyoming. Through Prospector you have access to 34 million books, journals, DVDs, CDs, videos and other materials held in these libraries. With a single search you can identify and borrow materials from these collections and have them delivered to your local library.
2. Interlibrary Loan
If you have already attempted to locate the item in our catalog and in Prospector, request it through Interlibrary Loan.
The Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service provides a way for residents of the High Plains Library District to request library resources not owned by High Plains Library District from other libraries.
- HPLD library card holders in good standing (less than $7.50 in fines/fees) who are residents of High Plains Library District can place Interlibrary Loan requests. Non-residents or Colorado Library Cards (CLC) patrons must place their ILL requests with their home library.
- You can have 5 active requests at a time.
- There is no charge to you for Interlibrary Loan service. However, while we always try to obtain materials for free, some lending libraries do charge a fee. These fees will be passed on to the patron. The patron will be contacted if there is a fee to inquire if they are willing to pay or not. Usually there is no charge for items from Colorado libraries; however, there may be a charge from libraries outside Colorado. When there is a charge, the average cost per item can range from $10-$25.
- Materials already owned by HPLD cannot be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Entire issues of magazines and journals cannot be requested via Interlibrary Loan. Some non-book items such as videos, CDs, DVDs and microfilm can be difficult to obtain. Some libraries, especially genealogical libraries, may be willing to photocopy portions of their materials, rather than lend them, if you can provide a specific description of what you need.
- We cannot guarantee when an item will arrive. It depends on which libraries own the item, where the library is located, and if the requested item is immediately available or not.
- High Plains Library District does not allow renewals on Interlibrary Loan items. Fines are $1.00 per day on overdue Interlibrary Loan items.
- Please wait 60 days before requesting the same item again.
- The lending library sets the amount of time the patron is allowed to check out the material.
- The microfilm machine is only available at the Centennial Park Branch Library. Microfilm or microfiche requested through Interlibrary Loan can only be sent to this location. Often the lending libraries limit the number of reels that they send (usually 4 reels at a time) and these must be returned before more can be ordered.
- If an Interlibrary Loan item is overdue no further Interlibrary Loan requests will be processed until the overdue item is returned. Fines are $1.00 per day on overdue Interlibrary Loan items.
- If an Interlibrary Loan is lost or damaged, all borrowing privileges at HPLD will be suspended until the item has been paid for.
- You will be notified by email, phone or by regular mail that the item is available. The due date and any special conditions will be on the pink label attached to the front of the item. Please leave this label on the item when you return it, as it ensures that the item will be properly checked in. There is a $1.00 fee if the pink ILL slip or barcode are missing. If this item is lost due to removal of this label you may be charged replacement fees. This charge could be up to $200 for lost items.
If we are not able to borrow an item in a timely fashion, you will be notified.
Why can’t I log into my ILL account with my library card and PIN?
It may be due to one of the following reasons:
- You may have a CLC library card. CLC cards are issued to patrons who live outside of the HPLD boundaries (Dacono, Windsor, etc.). You must request your ILL’s with your home library.
- You may have changed your password since you originally set up your ILL account.
- You may have fines on your library card that are $7.50 or more or a lost item on your account. This will prevent you from placing Interlibrary Loan requests.
- Your library card may be expired. Contact the library at 1-888-861-7323 to update your HPLD account.
3. Purchase Suggestion
If you have already attempted to locate the item in our catalog and in Prospector, and if you’ve already attempted to locate the item through Interlibrary Loan, make a Purchase Suggestion.