MLK Events Now Virtual
January 14, 2022
Press release from Dr. Janine M. Weaver-Douglas, Director of the Marcus Garvey Cultural Center:
With current conditions in mind, and to maintain and further the tradition of the MLK Jr March & Reception in the city of Greeley, this year’s events will be virtual and asynchronous. Current COVID transmission rates, specifically the increased transmissibility of the Omicron variant, have caused us to reconceptualize what a day of service toward Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s legacy would and could look like. We hope and encourage you to consider MLK Jr Day to be a day “on” instead of a day “off” and that even though we will not be gathering in person together, you will find myriad opportunities, resources and support below for how you can create your own plan of action and support within your community(ies).
With the hope of inspiring action, we have created a series entitled “Read/Watch/Listen/Do” that include local service opportunities; articles and books about MLK’s work & legacy; and podcasts, shows & movies/documentaries that center the work towards civil rights and the necessity of understanding our history and progress. As part of the kit, we have created Take & Make kits that can be picked up at various locations in Greeley to put your creative energy and passion into physical form in a way that is both meaningful & visible. Finally, we have worked to create opportunities to make meaning beyond MLK Jr Day, and tie into Black Heritage Month, that extend the narrative around Dr. King’s work & the relevance of that work, even into our present time. We hope that you take this time to reflect upon your own positionality, identify your own opportunities for action, and creatively engage in the active imagining of a more equitable & justice-centered community.
- Virtual Remarks & Selected Performances via View Here– Virtual Resource
- Read/Watch/Listen/Do Resources for Personal Action via View Here– Virtual Resource
- Take & Make Kit Pick Up- Physical Resource
- Pick up at HPLD, Aims & Marcus Garvey CC
- PopUp MLK Storytimes – High Plains Library District-In- Person Event
- A Conversation about the Importance of Truth, History, & the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: An MLK, Jr Keynote with Pulitzer Prize Winning Journalist, Nikole Hannah Jones (creator of The 1619 Project) – Virtual Keynote
- Register here: Nikole Hannah-Jones
TUES 1.25.22 and WED 1.26.22
- Colin in Black & White Screening at The Garvey (928 20thStreet)- In-Person Event
- TUES 1.25- 5:30p-8p
- WED 1.26- 5:30p- 8p