A Message From The High Plains Library District Board of Trustees
June 18, 2020
The High Plains Library District has always and will continue to stand against racism and violence in all shapes and forms. Our Black community is suffering; we support them and look for ways to ease their grief and loss. Racism, whether it be individual or systemic, degrades the very foundation of all our institutions, including our libraries. We also support our local and national law enforcement agencies while denouncing the deplorable acts of some in their ranks. Tasked with a difficult job, they too suffer grief and loss because of the egregious actions of a few.
Our mission is Helping build Community, and that is more vital now than ever before. Libraries are a place to create community and foster acceptance and inclusivity. Maya Angelou wrote, “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” We as a District will continue to provide programming, services, and resources that contribute positively to what our patrons know and do.
The following action items in our 2019-2024 Strategic Plan reflect our stance against violence and racism. We will further our mission by:
- Focusing Outreach on building relationships with our underserved communities
- Creating a welcoming and inviting environment for our diverse district population
- Curating collections and offering programs that are representative of cultures and nationalities of the populations in each service area
- Selecting and focusing on targeted segments of the population to design programs
- Holding staff led conversations about innovating services and programs to better support community needs
- Supporting all sections of the community to achieve their literacy goals, in their native language or a secondary language
- Offering and moderating programming that encourages crucial conversations and civil discourse
Each of these action items is intended to further build and strengthen our community. We invite you to stand with us as a participating patron of this Library District.
The High Plains Library District connects communities to information, inspiration and entertainment for life. HPLD includes libraries in Greeley, Firestone, Erie, Kersey, Ault, Eaton, Evans, Johnstown, Platteville, Hudson, Gilcrest and Fort Lupton.