Erie Library offers free tax prep
January 30, 2017
The Erie Library is participating with the AARP Tax-Aide program to provide free income tax return preparation for tax year 2016.
The program is available to taxpayers with low to moderate income, with special attention to those 60 years and older.
Trained and experienced Tax-Aide volunteers will be available at the Erie Community Library to confidentially review your tax situation, prepare your Federal return and Colorado state return, and electronically file your returns. Taxpayers with extremely complex tax returns that cannot be prepared by Tax-Aide volunteers will be referred to professional tax preparers.
TAXPAYERS MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS TO THEIR APPOINTMENT:
• PICTURE ID
• SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS or other documents with SS numbers for primary taxpayer, spouse, and dependents
• ALL IRS DOCUMENTS, such as W-2s, 1099-Rs, Social Security statements, investment statements, etc.
• HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE INFORMATION for 2016 for primary taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents.
• RECORD OF DEDUCTIBLE EXPENSES if itemizing deductions, including medical, charitable contributions, mortgage interest, and property taxes.
• Copy of last year’s tax return is requested, but not required
Appointments are available at 1:00pm, 2:00pm, or 3:00pm on the following dates: February 22, March 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29. To make an appointment, call the library at 1-888-861-7323 after January 16, 2017.